Google
 

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Is It Time to side with someone?

Alright, this title actually brings me to the current format war between HD DVD and Blu-Ray DVD. Kind of sad to see this kind of format war bud up again. As what I've seen in the past few years, there was the DVD+R and the DVD-R war. Which was for which, but it didn't really end when all the players and drives went on to accept both formats of DVD recordable.

Okay, As what Leo Laporte says (or it maybe someone else), if the sales of DVD is of 4:1, i.e. 4 BR DVD to 1 HD DVD, the war is over.

Let's take a rundown, on the HD DVD side. Developed by Toshiba, each layer is about 13GB worth of data. Quite a number of film studios are siding with HD DVD. Reasons behind the support, I didn't really care about it. As a consumer, I'd rather care of what I can get with HD DVD. Yes, true, in my last post, I'd side with the HD DVD side for content. Unlike DVD, HD DVD will serve fresh content, rather than pre-recorded trailers (of course, the film stays intact). The current maximum capacity is 51GB over 3 layers per DVD.

Alright, let's skip to the Blu Ray DVD court. Developed by Sony, each layer is about 25GB wroth of data. Yes, way larger than HD DVD. Not a big number of film studio is on this side of the grass. Content is play as pre-recorded. Don't really care about it, I'd skip to the menu if I watch it on a PC. The only extra that I'm getting over here is that my favorite drive manufacturer, Pioneer (my dad bought a DVD player from this company and has lasted till now) is supporting Blu-Ray. The other case is that my favourite storage manufacturer, Mitsubishi is also on the Blu-Ray field!

Say, I'm kind of still wanting to wait and see. LG has announced their second generation HD DVD and Blu-Ray DVD player. This time, the catch is that the HD DVD side has approved it.

Say... I'm confused... shoud I go Blu??? Or should I stay on the Red side of it all??? Both do have good features...

0 comments: